Re: Reducing parking spaces
From: nancybtoo (nancybtoopeak.org)
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2013 10:21:54 -0700 (PDT)
Our community (Coho Ecovillage in Corvallis, Oregon) has 43 parking spaces for 34 households.

There are generally 3-4 empty spaces each night.

We have 7 households with 2 cars. One household with no car. Otherwise 1 car per household totaling 39 so I think I counted about right.

How did we get so lucky? We live about 1 mile and a half south of a healthy downtown in a bicycle friendly community. We can bike across town in 25 minutes (driving would take 15 minutes).

Downtown offers (in descending order of importance to me) a hardware store, independent movie theatre, 3 bike shops, lots of places to eat, thrift stores, a brewing supply store, a dance studio. See http://www.corvallisiba.org/directory/index.html to learn more about independent businesses in Corvallis.

We also live on a bus route with the most frequent busses in Corvallis. Busses are fareless so no need to fumble for change.