Communes and Survivalists
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2013 16:54:10 -0700 (PDT)
The ongoing challenge of cohousing is convincing town planning boards and
neighborhood associations that a cohousing community is not a commune. It is
more a cooperatively managed condominium than naked dancers in the woods living
on rice and fruit.

But in Utah the challenge is even greater. The disclaimer on the Utah Valley
Commons Cohousing home page is:

We are not survivalists.

The full statement is:

The Utah Valley Commons has no political or religious
affiliation.  We are not "survivalists," nor do we attempt to
impose lifestyle restrictions (e.g., what kind of food you can
eat) on our members.  We respect each other's privacy.  The
UVCC is committed to providing a safe, healthy, and
sustainable community for individuals and families.

Since they were able to get approval from the town planning board for straw
bale construction and to cluster the houses instead of spacing each house in
the center of several acres, I think they will be able to meet the survivalist
challenge. The survivalists are likely to disown them because they are probably
not comfortable with the temporal image of straw bale. While it is a very
strong and environmentally sound building material, it does have the image of
something not quite up to guns and combat.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC