Re: Thoughts
From: R Philip Dowds (rpdowdscomcast.net)
Date: Thu, 8 Aug 2013 08:38:23 -0700 (PDT)
We're all in a lot of trouble:  Grossly unequal distribution of wealth and
income, partly because the oligarchs have captured Washington, while most
voters are watching reality TV shows.  Anthropogenic climate change and
despoilation of natural habitat; reverse evolution and despeciation.  Failure
to solve the geopolitical conflicts of the Middle East, which have evolved to
be an international disgrace of horrific proportions.  Not enough parking.
Ever.

There is no doubt in my mind that many cohousing residents have made individual
commitments to work on some aspects of one or more of these challenges, or of
similar challenges.  But if a cohousing community as an institution has not yet
adopted one or more of these challenges into its mission, then maybe it's not a
tragic failure.  Maybe having friends you understand, like and trust, and a
communal approach to child-raising, makes a pretty good mission all by itself.
Maybe learning how to do consensus, and how to share, are challenges enough,
without tackling peace in the Middle East.

But I am inclined to agree that cohousing can easily turn insular, isolating
itself from the affairs of its neighbors, and the interests of the larger
community.

RPD

Sent from my iPad