Repurposing Buildings for Cohousing [was MANUFACTURED HOUSING]
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2013 09:11:11 -0700 (PDT)
On Sep 27, 2013, at 12:41 AM, Matt Lawrence <matt [at] technoronin.com> wrote:

> I have had similar thoughts about older hotels.  It would be easy to take
> a pair of single rooms and convert one bath into a kitchen (all the
> plumbing is there).  Three rooms in a row would make a nice 2 bedroom
> unit.  Whatever common spaces, could of course continue to be common
> spaces.

What are the purchasing requirements for doing this? For probably illogical
reasons, this seems like a huge investment upfront. But then I think, if a
group got together with this in mind, they could actually move in right away
and thus would not have 2-3 years of carrying costs before move in. How long
would the upfront period of saying "we want to buy this hotel, give us a bit of
time to get it together" be?

Each household could stake out their rooms and live in them before renovating
them or renovate and then move in.  Or renovate the kitchen while living in the
bedrooms. AND wonder of all wonders, if there was already a restaurant on the
first floor, they could keep it in operation. O blessed day for people who live
in cities and work 10 hour days, eating most of their meals in public already.

Some rooms can be designated as common rooms. I use "common rooms" purposely
because it might be better to have separate rooms. Eastern Village has separate
spaces in their renovated office building for different purposes. They don't
have one floor that is all the common space.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines, Washington DC
"The truth is more important than the facts." Frank Lloyd Wright