Re: Members and rentals (was Short-term Rentals)
From: Richard L. Kohlhaas (rlkohlearthlink.net)
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2013 13:13:38 -0800 (PST)
We run essentially the same way at Casa Verde Commons.

Dick Kohlhaas

From:                   Diana Carroll <dianaecarroll [at] gmail.com>
Date sent:              Tue, 5 Nov 2013 13:59:25 -0500

> On Tue, Nov 5, 2013 at 12:39 PM, R Philip Dowds <rpdowds [at] comcast.net>
> wrote:

> > On the whole, at Cornerstone an owner is a member of the community, and no
> > ownership = no membership.  At any point in time we have about ten adults
> > living on property who are "tenants" and accordingly not "members".
>

> We (Mosaic Commons) have taken what I think is a unique approach to this
> situation which it might be helpful to share.
>
> We have two separate operating organizations:
>
> 1. Our home owners association (Condominium Trust, technically) which is
> pretty much like any other condo association: membership is determined by
> ownership of a unit...no more and no less.  This body is responsible for
> stuff involved with our physical and legal needs: plowing, maintaining
> buildings, insurance, bookkeeping, and other typical, boring condo stuff.
>  This constitutes the majority of a budget, but a tiny minority of what we
> actually DO.
>
> 2. Our cohousing group.  This body is responsible for everything that makes
> us a "community" rather than a "condominium": meetings; work days; social
> events; shared resources like lawn mowers, laundry machines, and common
> house furnishings; conflict resolution; policies about common house usage,
> pets, smoking, quiet hours, etc;
>
> The second group membership has been much discussed and we FINALLY (after,
> no joke, months or maybe even years of discussion) decided on a membership
> policy:
> http://mosaic-commons.org/membership
> Basically, anyone who lives here and participates in the community is a
> member -- ownership status not relevant.
> This body also has "associates", which are people who don't actually live
> here, but participate in the community nonetheless.  Our associate policy
> is still under discussion, but our current version is here:
> http://mosaic-commons.org/associates
>
> The idea is that everyone is engaged on equally footing on the stuff
> relevant to them: home owners on issues relating to their properties;
> community members on issues relating to the community.
>
> Time will tell how this works out, but I'm pretty happy with it so far.
>  But then, I'm in BOTH groups as a resident/owner...our non-resident
> owners, or non-owner residents, might feel differently.

Dick Kohlhaas <rlkohl [at] earthlink.net>
(719)633-8170
Board Member, Cohousing Association of the US
Resident of  Colorado Springs Cohousing Community at Casa Verde Commons
Completed March 2003. 34 units on 4 acres     www.casaverde.us