Re: Exterior modifications
From: Mariana Almeida (
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2014 10:24:26 -0800 (PST)
We are a condo, too, and we have some items that are owner's responsibility: 
"windows" and "water heater located outside the unit" (but not the parts that 
are located inside the unit). 

I can tell you it's been a huge headache to determine who should pay for 

In practice, it is sometimes hard to determine which structure belongs with 
what structure. What constitutes a "window"? I was forced to learn all sorts of 
terminology about "windows" in order to make a decision about who would be 
responsible for payment of replacement ones. That's because windows are not 
just the glass, they are also things like sash, casing, and some other terms 
I've worked hard to forget. Personally, I think the original wording on the 
CC&Rs was meant to cover broken glass as being the unit owner responsibility. 

All in all, I would say avoid this situation! Keep it simple today and for 
always. One way to deal with the new structures and the cost they will incur 
would be to add some costs for the owner. We've had a unit owner raise the 
amount he or she contributes to reserves to cover eventual replacement of said 
Mariana Almeida
Berkeley California

Results generated by Tiger Technologies Web hosting using MHonArc.