Re: Common vs Limited Common Elements [was Exterior modifications
From: R Philip Dowds (rpdowdscomcast.net)
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2014 06:23:07 -0800 (PST)
Cornerstone was not impacted by 40B because Cambridge is well over State
requirements for below-market units.  However, Cornerstone was / is impacted by
local "inclusionary zoning", which requires all sizable multi-family projects
to include 10% below-market limited equity units.  Purchase and sale of these
units is controlled by the city, not by the community or even the
income-qualified unit owners.

From time to time, up comes the question of, Should we discount assessments on
the "affordable" units?  This question usually gets entangled with others, like
     ? Why does it seem like this affordable unit household has more money than
I do?  And,
     ? Why is it that this household doesn't participate in much in community
life?  And,
     ? Why can't we have any influence on who buys these units, anyway?

So our dog is sleeping soundly too, and for the time being, assessments on the
affordables are pretty much proportionate to square footage.

Philip Dowds