Re: Policies for guests on property
From: Diana Carroll (dianaecarrollgmail.com)
Date: Sat, 5 Apr 2014 08:49:45 -0700 (PDT)
Second everything ann says.

But I notice that your question wasn't about background checks for
residents, which it seems you have already decided on...but for -guests-?

At the risk of being offensive, I will say: that's just bizarre.

I'm not even sure what kind of background check you mean.  Sexual offender
registry?  Criminal record?  (In MA this is called a CORI and is required,
for example, for anyone who will be working with children). Credit report?
 Online services that charge $30 to aggregate data from public
records? Hire an agency to pore over all public public records?  Hire
a Private investigator to follow someone?

Even the simplest of those (sexual offender registry which is publicly
available online) requires knowing someone's full name and town.  Will your
residents be submitting this information about their visiting guests before
they visit? In MA, CORIs require a signed release; I assume similar laws
exist in other states.  Are you thinking to ask your residents to acquire
said release for their friends and family before they visit?  I'm kind of
slack jawed at the thought.

We at Mosaic Commons have no rules about who can visit and who can't.  We
have rules everyone is expected to comply with about things like smoking
and pets, but in terms of who is allowed on "campus"?  No one has ever
suggested screening guests, and my red card is twitching just thinking
about it.  If someone here is breaking the law, we can call the cops.  If
they break one of our rules, maybe we'd ask them to leave.  If there's some
legal reason they aren't allowed here - a restraining order, say - then we
should call the cops and let law enforcement enforce the law.  other than
that...our residents can invite whoever they please to visit them.

Diana