Re: Policies for guests on property
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Sun, 6 Apr 2014 07:02:54 -0700 (PDT)
A fundamental question about the desire for background checks:  Is it really
the fear of now being responsible for a community of people. Feeling
responsible/fearful that a person "you" allow to enter that community may harm
someone.

There is no protection against this except the same judgments that we use
everyday to determine if someone is a danger. In fact our own immediate
judgments are probably much better than the information in a background check.

I do remember feeling very exposed early on because we were a spectacle. People
wandered in. Residents invited everyone they knew to meals. We had tours. It
was a fishbowl for a couple of years and that feeling returns every time a new
household moves in. They invite all their friends and relatives--or they invite
themselves-- to assure everyone this is not strange.

People try to direct those who need help to us. They need a community to take
care of them. At what point are we overwhelmed?

I don't think the question is about background checks. It's about a new
responsibility -- an unknown.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines