Re: Lessons from a Austin Cohousing that disbanded
From: Charles Nuckolls (administratorutahvalleycommons.com)
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2014 20:25:52 -0700 (PDT)
My impression, as a cultural anthropologist, is that as the economy has
withered and the middle class stagnated, lots of American have decided to
return to the old-style religion:  the belief that cooperative endeavors
destroy individual initiative and pave the way to government control.  The
reactionary turn in American politics over the last ten years is breathtaking.
And scary.  The increasingly dominant Tea Party discourse -- as ridiculous as
it may seem to many of us -- has made a sane conversation about slowing growth
in an age of increasing resource limits very hard to sustain.  For those of us
still trying to build cooperative communities, the job is not getting any
easier -- quite the reverse.  I take some comfort from that fact that I can
still spend three months of the year in a fishing village on the southeastern
coast of India, a place where excessive individualism (known in the local
language as 'ahankaramu') is still considered a
 form of mental illness.

Charles Nuckolls, Ph.D.
Last Surviving Member
Utah Valley Commons