Re: Communities with a low-cost/affordability focus?
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2014 17:06:51 -0700 (PDT)
On Aug 27, 2014, at 7:39 PM, Dane Laverty <danelaverty [at] gmail.com> wrote:

> Yeah, I want to find a low-cost housing solution that relies on intrinsic
> cost reduction rather than other people's generosity.

I agree. That is preferred.

> I like the idea of getting a tiny house (<400 sq. ft.) and living simply
> and cheaply. However, a lot of home ownership costs are due to permitting,
> land, taxes, and infrastructure development. This means that reducing
> construction costs only has a small impact on the overall cost of home
> ownership.

The Tiny House site used to have estimates for this part. Think like a trailer
park for a few years.

I friend once told me about how people who want to move to Maine build houses.
First they buy land and camp out every summer clearing land if necessary.

Then they lay a concrete slab and live in larger tents or a canopy with chairs
and tables.

Then they do a sceptic tank, electricity, etc., all in stages.

With a tiny house you would have more than that from the beginning. If it is on
wheels, it doesn't require a permit, at least not in most places. Zoning can
still be a problem.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines