Re: Church Conversion Retrofit Cohousing Panel for National Conference in NC
From: Kevin Wolf (kevinjwolfgmail.com)
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2014 09:42:57 -0800 (PST)
Most of the small and growing "N Street style" retrofit cohousing
communities that I know of have had no elements where they involved a
design process to create any part of their community except for the outside
yards and new paths that connected their yards together. They are making do
with building designs that was originally there.  The residents  can't
afford yet to dedicate one house to become a common house because they
can't afford it.  And many retrofit communities inherited the elements of
their houses and neighborhood design that are not the ideals of a "built"
cohousing community, and have little chance of making changes to those
elements any time soon.. Yet I hope the cohousing community isn't going to
resist letting them defining themselves as "cohousing" as they hope to some
day become more like the N Street, Temecula, or East Lansing Cohousing
communities where the residents and an architect/designer eventually can
afford to "design" together and build a common house, most likely by
repurposing an existing house on the block.

Kevin
N Street Cohousing member.