Re: Bylaws, Policies & Agreements
From: R Philip Dowds (rpdowdscomcast.net)
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2014 07:14:43 -0800 (PST)
I won’t pretend to speak for everyone at Cornerstone, but my view is that
guidelines are indeed optional.  Nonetheless, they are written by committees to
address specific problems, or resolve specific issues, or encourage certain
behaviors.  But if the guidelines fail to fix the situation they address, and
members still perceive problems with the situation, then the guideline can and
will migrate up to “full circle” (a meeting of the entire membership) to be
endorsed as an enforceable policy.  Or not, if many conclude that the status
quo is more acceptable than a new agreement.

So think of guidelines as draft policies being explored at the committee level.

RPD