Re: Preparing for electric cars on site
From: Jerry McIntire (jerry.mcintiregmail.com)
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2015 11:26:44 -0800 (PST)
Thanks John, I'm glad to hear that Liberty Village has so much opportunity
for charging EVs, and that you are driving two of them!

At Stone's Throw Ecovillage in Wisconsin, we haven't discussed Ev
infrastructure but we have discussed buying a neighborhood electric vehicle
(NEV) which would have a max speed of 35 mph and would be able to do all
the around-town driving our members would want (it's only 3 miles at most
to go anywhere in our small town).

I will advocate for plenty of 120V outlets for level 1 charging (slow, as
John mentioned) in our parking areas. Members with EVs would be expected to
pay something for their electricity use in those spots.

We own a Toyota RAV4 EV and a Prius, which we hope to replace with a
plug-in Prius. We paid to install a level 2 charger (240V) for our EV,
though we haven't started home construction yet! I imagine such charging
stations will continue to be the responsibility of individual EV owners,
until EVs are more popular. At some point I hope the community will put a
level 2 charging station in our visitor parking area-- that may be a few
years.

We are fortunate to have at least two options for "green power" in our
area. The electric utility offers renewable energy credits from renewable
power projects, as a higher rate per kilowatt hour. We have a local
non-profit that offers the same type of credits, but they are all from
in-state renewable projects. It's called REpowerNow http://repowernow.org/
 Maybe other areas have such local generation options also?

Jerry

Jerry McIntire
Stone's Throw Ecovillage, in the heart of Wisconsin's beautiful Driftless
region
http://stonesthrowcommunity.wordpress.com/
1-608-637-6620