Re: Snow and Cold Temps
From: Diana Carroll (dianaecarrollgmail.com)
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2015 11:13:31 -0800 (PST)
As for how we've been coping...

Well, logistically it has been quite challenging, of course.  Our snow plow
company has been working absurdly hard to keep us excavated but we've
pretty much run out of places to put the snow...and the cars and everything
else.

We have a member in our community who volunteers as the Snow Queen -- she
communicates with the plow company, tells us when it is time to move our
cars so they can clear out spaces, and rallies people to help neighbors out
who might need help clearing and moving their cars.  This is her first year
doing the job, but she's hit it out of the park so far.

It's definitely been a team effort -- clearing cars, shoveling walkways,
trying to keep the snow on the roofs back from the windows, etc.

What strikes me this year just as in prior years when we've had snow, power
outs and other weather related challenges is how awesome it is to live in
cohousing.  Being snowed in for prolonged periods would feel isolating at
best, or even downright dangerous, if we were all living out here in
exurbia in single-family homes...but instead snow days are a chance to come
together to work together, hang out in the common house, share meals and
have fun.

So..snow days are fun...but still...most of us are pretty ready for an end
to this extreme winter and return to our normal lives.

---

Oh, regarding the cold?  No big deal.  I can't get over, again and again
and again, how happy I am that we designed the homes here at Mosaic Commons
with super-insulation!

During development there were any of number of times we nearly balked at
the expense of constructing our homes with 2x6 construction, blown-in
insulation, blower-tested sealing, triple-glazed windows, etc...

But we never backed off, and now we live here, and this is the first place
I've ever lived in my life (spent in New England) that I am *never cold*!

Diana