Re: Request from TLC for someone to be on their show about Cohousing and communal living
From: Fred H Olson (fholsoncohousing.org)
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2015 13:09:43 -0700 (PDT)
Kevin forwarded the following message:

>From: Patti Garley-Karnes <patti.garley-karnes [at] leftfieldpictures.com>
>Date: Tue, Mar 24, 2015 at 10:31 AM
>Subject: Co-Housing
>To: kevin [at] wolfandassociates.com
>

>Hi Kevin, I found your info on the cohousing.org web site. I am a producer
>working on a new series for the TLC channel. They are looking do a show
>about communal / co-housing. The shows premise is to explore the growing
>trend of communal living here in the states. I am looking for people
>interested in being on camera showing us what life is like in a communal
>setting. For the series TLC would like to feature homes that have multiple
>families living in one house. Do you know of anyone that might be
>interested. Feel free to call or email me anytime - thanks!
>
>Patti Karnes
>Producer - Leftfield Pictures
>460 34th Street / 16th Floor
>New York, NY 10001
>Office: 267-221-7313
>Email: patti.garley-karnes [at] leftfieldpictures.com
>*www.leftfieldpictures.com <http://www.leftfieldpictures.com/>*

We don't have cable so I looked up the "TLC channel" on Wikipedia
It's former name was The Learning Channel.

>From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TLC_%28TV_network%29  :

>The channel has been criticized as a classic case of channel drift for
>departing from the original nature of its programming, by airing
>shows of a controversial nature with what is described as having no
>educational value...

It's current lineup of programs is not very impressive to me.

I picked one (again from Wikipedia) to look closer.
from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breaking_Amish :

>"Breaking Amish" is an American reality television series on the TLC
>television network that debuted September 9, 2012.[1] The series
>revolves around five young Anabaptist adults (four Amish and one
>Mennonite) who move to New York City in order to experience a
>different life.

The article goes on to describe controversy about the content including:

>relationships between cast members were portrayed falsely and that
>there were many inconsistencies between fact and the reality

I urge whoever does this to approach it with a bit of skepticism.

Fred