Re: Evaluating Boards?
From: Katie Henry (katie-henryatt.net)
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2015 20:51:40 -0700 (PDT)
Wow, that's a loaded question. A few quick thoughts, since I'm on my way out:
If you're going to evaluate the board, you also need to evaluate the community
on whether it did a good job of choosing the board and defining its
responsibilities. In my former community, especially in the early years, the
focus was on selecting nice people who wouldn't offend anyone, as opposed to
finding members with relevant skills (finance, bookkeeping, building
maintenance), or project management skills, or just the ability to make
decisions and get things done. These boards would get bogged down in community
controversies and lose track of the legal, financial, and infrastructure
aspects of board duty.
If the board is not doing a good job, is the community going to know? If
expenses are not being tracked and money is being wasted, is a non-board member
going to pore over the books and figure that out? If non-obvious maintenance or
inspections were deferred, how will you know? The board members themselves may
not even know if they're not paying attention. I am aware of several condos
where the management company didn't pay the utility bills for several years and
then went out of business, taking all their money. The board didn't know, and
the residents are facing huge past-due bills and imminent shut-off.
So what are your standards for evaluation? A lot of boards are considered to be
successful if there is no legal action and no huge special assessments on their
watch. Not a high bar.
Katie Henry
Evaluating Boards?  From: Sue STIGLEMAN (sstiglemanbellsouth.net)Date: Wed, 15
Apr 2015 13:24:19 -0700 (PDT)Hi from Westwood in Asheville, NC.
Does anyone have experience with doing a formal evaluation of your Board?
Formats? Forms? Questions?
I have a general HOA Board evaluation form, but I'm wondering if anyone has a
cohousing specific form or process.Thanks!--sue Sue Stiglemansstigleman [at]
bellsouth.net828-989-9373