Re: Tracking projects
From: R Philip Dowds (rpdowdscomcast.net)
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2015 08:06:39 -0700 (PDT)
I agree with Sharon.  In my world — that of design and construction — there are
all kinds of sophisticated project management programs, some VERY expensive,
that integrate, cross-reference, and calculate schedules, budgets and actors,
while at the same time coding and filing e-mail, issuing personal To Do lists,
and archiving sequential versions of documentation.  These programs are hard to
learn, and if left to the ministrations of entropy, devolve into uselessness
within a matter of weeks.  (Used properly, however, they can be great tools.)
But …

One of the best project managers I ever met was a construction field supervisor
who never graduated from high school, but nonetheless had considerable gifts.
In his head he maintained a mental time/space map of the entire construction
project, and knew “instinctively” when some sub-task was slipping in a way that
endangered the deadline or budget.  Most of us, however, are not that good, and
need some combination of calendar, spreadsheet, and list maker to keep our
ducks in a row.  Filemaker is one kind of all-purpose tool; another one,
particularly good for managing activity and money over time, is FastTrack
Schedule 10.  Both of these are acquired tastes.

RPD