Re: Pet Policy for Cats in Co housing community
From: Beverly Jones Redekop (beverly.jones.redekopgmail.com)
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2015 12:46:33 -0700 (PDT)
​Many people think it's a grand idea to create policies restricting outside
cats, but they don't think through the whole situation.  Just like how
exterminating wolves in what became Yellowstone park seems to have favoured
elk, causing problems for willow, beaver, and waterways​, there are
problems with banning outdoor cats.  Outdoor cats compensate for many
human, sloppy, rat-friendly practices: humans attract rats with imperfect
composting, with unharvested fruit, with the feces of their pet dogs, and
with bird feeders.  Outdoor cats usually take care of the resulting rats
without too much notice (or credit or appreciation ;-)

If you do wish to limit outside cats, your policy at a very minimum should
restrict BOTH outdoor cats and birdfeeders.

          Beverly Jones Redekop

    beverly.jones.redekop [at] gmail.com

On Fri, Apr 24, 2015 at 6:26 AM, Sharon Villines <sharon [at]
sharonvillines.com>