Re: still happening...........
From: R Philip Dowds (rpdowdscomcast.net)
Date: Sat, 25 Apr 2015 12:04:04 -0700 (PDT)
But … many condos own stuff in common: Stairwells, swimming pools, clubhouses,
lawnmowers, fences, laundry rooms, etc.  And all condos also govern themselves
via sub-groups such as managing boards and committees.  So how is cohousing
different?

Well, as a design and construction professional who worked the residential
market for more than a decade, I can report that condominium associations have
a bad reputation generally for being unreliable and hard to work with.  Many
architects, engineers and contractors refuse to work for a condo association,
except maybe as a last resort when other business has dried up.  In general, I
think that condos organized as cohos are more rational and dependable than
those organized otherwise; they certainly aren’t any worse.  If a bank is
willing to loan for a dwelling unit embedded in a aggregation of alienated
strangers, it should surely be willing to lend for a similar unit in a
community of friends.

So I remain totally opposed to skulking around, hoping that the capitalist
interests of money and property fail to notice that I live in cohousing.  I
think we need to keep on doing what we’re doing:  Educating, and leading the
way.

RPD