Energy recovery ventilators (ERVs)
From: Fred-List manager (fholsoncohousing.org)
Date: Sat, 9 May 2015 05:37:00 -0700 (PDT)
Richard Smith, Architect  rsmith2 [at] optonline.net
after deleting a long quote from thread from which this evolved:
Subject: Re: [C-L]_ Consultation & Facilities Management [was management
    services vs self-management at the building stage

I changed the subject line (to ERV's) hoping to elicit some more
info on the topic.

A bit of background on the topic:
Note that an energy recovery ventilator (ERV) is a form of mechanical
ventilation which is needed when the building envelope is tight enough
that little air is exchanged thru the the walls and windows.
They also condition the moisture content of the living space.

ERV's go one step further and extract much (70-80%) of the heat from
the air outgoing air and puts it into the incoming air.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Energy_recovery_ventilation

FRed

I have been looking into ERV's for our super insulated air tight homes
completed in 2009. So far what I have found are for either larger
whole house (our units are mostly duplex or triplex) or work for one
level. Have you found any that can provide fresh air needs for 800 to
1500 SF multi-level units?

Richard Smith, Architect