More on Guest Rooms
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 2015 07:36:16 -0700 (PDT)
When people decided we needed a guest room policy, mostly because some guests
were staying a long time. They measured how often the room was used. One unit
had used it 40 nights in the last year, and others not at all. The average was
about 10-14 days. Some people wanted to charge for the rooms but others didn’t.
We don’t charge for using any CH facilities, even the laundry.

We ended up with a $25 donation which over time has become expected.

We had discussions recommending methods for leveling off use. None were
implemented but I list them because they might be useful to others.

1. Each unit has a number of days a year free, and then pays a certain sum
after that. Units may give their free days to other units.

2. Each unit has a number of points each year. Holidays and weekend cost more
points. Points can be traded.

3. Conflicts are resolved by lottery. (I thought we should be able to come up
with a more rational basis for decision-making but some felt this was the most
fair—chance is fair. And easiest—no tracking of points, etc.

But as with most issues, just talking about it resolved many issues. Limiting
reservations to only 4 months in advance resolved people making reservations
months in advance and forgetting about them. Limiting stays to 10 days
prevented people from essentially moving in. And if someone was obnoxious, we
knew there was an end.

PORTABLE BED

We have a young man who is working for the Marriott hotel in downtown DC. He
told us about the bed they use. We haven’t purchased it yet but plan to. It
stores easily and is the normal height of beds. It inflates and deflates in
minutes. Folded is the size of a large suitcase on wheels. Shows a washer and
dryer sitting on it so it is strong.

$199-269 at FrontGate. They have a slide show and video here:

https://hec.su/blAc

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines