Re: a question about meeting minutes
From: R Philip Dowds (rpdowdscomcast.net)
Date: Wed, 9 Sep 2015 02:31:30 -0700 (PDT)
Good question.  My answer may not be the most popular one, but …

When I do minutes, I do not try to provide court transcripts; I don’t have the
training or the equipment, and in any event, modern audio recording devices
often do that as well or better than a typist.

The bigger issue, however, is that in court proceedings, the dialogs and
exchanges follow a vigorously regulated ritual.  The “conversation” has its own
forced logic and structure, which makes it easy (easier) for non-participants
to decode later.  Maybe your plenary meetings are better organized than mine,
but the discussions of my meetings don’t have that much structure:  Topics or
questions pop up, then disappear beneath the waves, and then re-surface again.
Or not.  One remark is contradicted by another 10 minutes later, but the
conflict is not addressed.  Important information is available, but there’s no
time to review it.  People repeat themselves.  The facilitator’s attempt to
summarize the conclusion accidentally omits an important point.  And so on.

In my view, a linear transcript of such an event is pretty much useless.  So
instead, I write “sense of the meeting” minutes.  If (in my note taking
opinion) there were three issues on the floor — two of which were resolved, one
of which was not — then I will structure the minutes around these three issues.
 Basically, my structure is (a) a clear statement of the matter being discussed
(which may not be evident until late in the conversation); (b) a summary of the
conversational highlights; and (c) a clear statement of the next steps or
outcome (if any).  For the highlights, I include either paraphrases or (less
often) literal quotes, with quotation marks.  In some cases, I’ll provide an
attribution to a specific person, but in other cases, I will anoni-mize a
comment, with an attribution like “one member thought …”; I do this latter when
it’s a comment I fear the member might regret at a future time.

So my minutes are not a transcript, they are an interpretation.  The job of the
notetaker is not that of stenographer.  The notetaker’s job is to make the
meeting sound better than it was.  Needless to say, with an approach like this,
I always send round a draft of the minutes, and seek comments.  Sometimes I get
a few, and when I do, I always find a way to work them into my text.

To be candid … my community does have notetakers who are more like
stenographers, and some of them are pretty good.  We’ve never tried to
standardize our notes.  Should we?

Philip Dowds
Cornerstone Village Cohousing
Cambridge, MA