Re: meeting minutes
From: Lynn Nadeau / Maraiah (welcomeolympus.net)
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2015 09:23:53 -0700 (PDT)
I definitely agree with Sharon on the role of minutes taker. I do take
sometimes-verbatim raw notes at the meeting, but in the sometimes lengthy
process of turning those into minutes, I sift and sort, seeking to make as much
sense as possible of what emerged. What was common ground? Where did opinions
differ? (I've had people tell me they understood a debate better from my notes
than when it was happening.) The subjective aspect of this process makes it all
the more useful to get prepublication input from key attendees, lest I
editorialize too much.

I must also listen well in the meeting: more than once, over the years, I've
accidentally erased the whole shebang and -- with due acknowledgement of the
fact --- had to reconstruct the whole meeting from memory! Surprisingly, my
editors found very little to add to my reconstruction.

Back to Muriel's bottom line question: do you name names? Answer: sometimes. I
don't need to note who pointed out that we needed to check with our insurance
company. Or who asked for, and got, clarification on some aspect of the
proposal. Names appear normally in the attendance list, as contact people, as
members of a committee or task force reporting or asking for input. Lots of
names in the raw notes, far fewer in the finished product.

Why not name all names? If a concern is about the wisdom of doing something,
for the group, then it becomes a matter for the group to resolve, not just to
pacify the individual who raised it. As minutes are public documents, there may
be cases where a person's sense of privacy might be violated by being named; on
the other hand, someone might have a strong desire to be named: it's a
balancing act.

Like facilitation, or managing accounting, there are special skills involved in
taking minutes. Random rotation of the job is not the best way to get a
consistent and quality product. In cases where rotation is unavoidable, it
becomes all the more useful to have a standard format.

Maraiah Lynn Nadeau, RoseWind Cohousing, Port Townsend WA
where we have an abundance of garden produce -- peppers, cucumbers, onions,
tomatoes, beets, squash, carrots, potatoes......and my late-planted zinnias are
adding a splash of color, amidst the toppling sunflowers.