Re: How do communities deal with members who can't pay their condo fees or assessments?
From: Elizabeth Magill (pastorlizmgmail.com)
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2016 10:02:53 -0800 (PST)
We have pulled out "cohousing fees" as separate from "HOA fees".

The cohousing fees are sliding scale and cover most everything that is optional
in our community--laundry services and machines, the party budget, the common
house furniture, kitchen supplies, even interior paint, lawn mowers and the
garden.

The HOA fees are set by percentage ownership and cover plowing, water, sewage,
and of course the reserve for rebuilding homes, roofs, etc. Insurance.

Our HOA fees are very high (I'm in the middle-sized unit and pay $510 per
month). However the "percentage interest" for the "affordable" homes was based
on original home price, so the affordable homes are a good deal lower.

Our average cohousing fees are about $106 per month...people can pay from 5% to
...well as high as you want to go, but I think the top folk pay about 200% of
that amount.

So its a small benefit...but enough to make it so that people's frustrations
over the increases in the absolutely necessary items can be balanced with the
decision for some households to spend less on the "optional" items without
requiring that we go without any option items.

-Liz
www.mosaic-commons.org
Berlin MA
508-450-0431