Re: How do communities deal with members who can't pay their condo fees or assessments?
From: R Philip Dowds (rpdowdscomcast.net)
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2016 11:32:44 -0800 (PST)
I appreciate the need to make careful discriminations among various expense
categories according to the rules of HOAs as established by the State having
jurisdiction.  But even within that rule set, there are always ambiguities and
difficult choices.

Yes, a tight roof and working hot water are probably necessities, and maybe we
can do without a process consultant.  Maybe “consensus training” is a luxury
that only the wealthiest cohos can consider.

But at Cornerstone, we just paid “extra” for ice belting made out of copper
instead of rubber.  And we’re about to pay “extra” for hot water tanks made out
of stainless steel instead of copper.  Total bill in the high five figures.
However, when it comes to the low four figures for a process consultant, well,
that’s over the top when money is short.  An unnecessary extravagance, Yes?

But (speaking only for myself) I came here, not to learn and practice roofing,
but to learn and practice community.  For me, copper belts are the luxuries,
and consensus training is the necessity.

Am I getting something backwards here?

Thanks,
Philip Dowds
Cornerstone Village Cohousing