Re: How Mark Zuckerberg Might Attack The Affordable Housing Crisis | Co.Exist | ideas + impact
From: Philip Dowds (rpdowdscomcast.net)
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2016 16:12:46 -0700 (PDT)
Zoning is tricky stuff.  If the taxi driver's neighborhood is seriously
up-zoned, then the local assessor could reasonably conclude his lot is worth
more, and increase the driver's taxes.  On the other hand, if an up-zoning led
to more housing construction and increased housing supply (sometimes it does,
sometimes not), the value of his property might fall.

There's an awful lot wrong with the American housing market.  I'd be slow to
blame it on zoning, or try to fix it with zoning reform as my main tool.

Thanks,
Philip Dowds
Cornerstone Cohousing
Cambridge, MA