Re: Describing Diversity
From: Crystal Farmer (crystalbyrdfarmergmail.com)
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2016 03:46:06 -0700 (PDT)
"But what is ?color?. The distinctions between people in terms of color
have nothing to do with white or non-white. Does anyone think of themselves
or their neighbors as non-white? Are any of us are white?"

I find that people who are in the majority race-wise have the privilege of
ignoring their race. They are able to look at other markers of diversity
when it comes to housing or community. It's simply not the case for
non-white people. When I apply for a job, talk to a realtor, or even go
shopping, my race matters. When our cohousing group talks about diversity,
I want them to be clear that they welcome diverse people. And that means
saying, "we have non-white and gay people." It matters to me, and I think
other people of color would agree. It needs to be said out loud.

Crystal Farmer
Charlotte Cohousing Community