Re: Seeking small cohousing communities (10-14 households) with common area inside main building?
From: R Philip Dowds (rpdowdscomcast.net)
Date: Thu, 4 May 2017 12:44:23 -0700 (PDT)
Diana —

Cornerstone is a mixed-building-type community.  Partly because of a difficult
parcel shape and zoning issues, and partly because of living in (and trying to
pay for) urban density, our common house includes 13 dwelling units on four
floors.  Multi-family apartment life may seem challenging and perhaps
retrograde for those accustomed to living in single family homes at suburban
densities — but in my opinion, our building works extremely well.  My wife and
I live immediately adjacent to the main commons for all 32 units of
Cornerstone, and we wouldn’t want it any other way.

But you raise also a different and unrelated question, that of “small”
communities (never mind design layout).  We all remain wary of cohousing that’s
“too small” and “too big” … but why?  And what are the “right" numbers, really?

You can have your folks contact me if they want some perspective from
Cornerstone.

Thanks,
Philip Dowds
Cornerstone Village Cohousing