Fwd: Seeking small cohousing communities (10-14 households) with common area inside main building?
From: Wendy Willbanks Wiesner (wwiesneraffordablecohousing.org)
Date: Sun, 7 May 2017 13:00:19 -0700 (PDT)
Hello All,

Developments of this size are referred to as "incremental", and there are
specific ways of approaching them.

In this same vein, I just attended an Incremental Development Alliance
(IDA) workshop in Seattle last week.  IDA is a national organization that
assists small developers across the country in doing both new construction
and retrofits that are 20 units or less.  (Interestingly enough, the woman
sitting next to me had brought along a copy of the Senior Cohousing
Handbook).

I will be integrating the relevant information/concepts from this workshop
into the day-long intensive I am leading at the conference on May 18,
titled How to Make Housing that People Really Want and that EveryTown Needs.

The most important thing to consider with this 7-12 unit project discussed
below is what in fact can be financed.  The good news is that conventional
mortgage products can be used with projects of this size, assuming that
they pencil out.  Having a tenant during the day in the common space could
be helpful in this respect.

One thing that does catch my attention is the low-end number of 7.  An odd
number of units indicates a possibly less-than-standard building layout
(more expensive).  Possibly the total number of units is 8 with one planned
for use as a common house?  If so, making this a unit that could be easily
converted to a standard unit in the future would lower the risk and thus
encourage a banker to be much more amenable to the project.

Wendy

Wendy Willbanks Wiesner
Executive Director
Partnerships for Affordable Cohousing (PFAC)