Re: Figuring out what land price is appropriate for project size and expected unit price
From: R Philip Dowds (rpdowdscomcast.net)
Date: Tue, 9 May 2017 18:30:06 -0700 (PDT)
Experienced residential developers often have a pretty good grip on the
cost-per-sq-ft estimate for typical residential construction.  Site costs are
far more variable, and consist of two parts:
  — land acquisition cost; and
  — site development costs.
Land that is flat, clean and near utility services, properly zoned and
unencumbered by easements, tends to be pretty expensive.  Two miles away, a
similar amount of acreage is a lot cheaper — but it’s hilly, rocky,
contaminated, zoned industrial, and has public utility lines strung across the
back half.  The school district isn’t so good, either.  Per acre, this second
rate site is “cheap” — but it will need a lot of investment, remediation, and
special permits before it can be well used.  Part of the developer’s skill set
includes the ability to overcome many site development obstacles.

So No, there isn’t a reliable rule of thumb for what you ought to pay for land.
 Every project is different, and benefits from its own pro forma financial
analysis — which in turn is often tied to some idea about dwelling units per
acre confirmed by a simple site schematic.

Thanks,
Philip Dowds
Cornerstone Village Cohousing
Cambridge, MA