Re: recognizing time versus financial investment in early days
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2017 07:25:13 -0700 (PDT)
> On Jun 13, 2017, at 12:48 PM, Kathryn McCamant <kmccamant [at]
> COHOUSING-SOLUTIONS.COM> wrote:
>
> With all due respect, Sharon, I think you’re experience in marketing
> cohousing was at a different time in the very strong Washington DC market. I
> too had the experience of thinking it was easy to market cohousing,

I didn’t mean to suggest that it was easy. It is hard. But I haven’t seen any
reports of traditional real estate marketing working in terms of producing
buyers that really want to live in cohousing. And it’s very expensive. Printed
flyers, ads in major publications, etc. The places where I’ve seen this tried
were in Florida, actually.

The poster had mentioned needing money for marketing and then having each
household pay $2,500. I don’t think that is the most productive use of time or
money. Personal contact doesn’t just mean friends and family — it means
speaking to groups that are likely to also attract people interested in
community living.

Katie’s point about social media is well-taken. I think I was using “flyers” as
a generic term for no or low cost right now contacts. Facebook and all the
others are of the same ilk.

Looking at blogging might be a good way now to get attention. Put up a blog —
Prairie Spruce has a wonderful one started as soon as they  began organizing.
It gives the best picture of cohousing that I’ve seen. Entries range from
informative to funny to inviting. What’s happening in the orchard? Who won the
curling championship?

http://prairiespruce.com/blog/

“Black Sheep Welcome” is hilarious. personal, and seductive. About a black
sheep fitting in. Who wouldn’t want to join this group? And especially hear
more from the author?

http://prairiespruce.com/black-sheep-welcome/

> I have found it to be much more challenging to find our committed buyers ever
> since, especially getting buyers to commit $$ to a project in the early
> stages. Add to that the fact that younger generations seek their housing in
> different ways than we did, much more digitally than flyers on bulletin
> boards. In fact, I think us “old timers” talking about how easy it was to
> market our communities has been a real disservice to new groups who feel like
> they are failing because people aren’t flocking to join them.

Actually, I don’t remember it being so easy in the 1990s and people had lots of
horror stories. I think our standards have raised so we are more realistic
about money. We go to the deal-breaker quicker. The failed communities that
littered the landscape are legendary. One number was only 1 of 10 will get
built. I don’t hear those sad stories any more.

Now money is right up there as a first concern. It isn't ignored until
construction plans start being discussed. People want cohousing _and_ market
rate middle class homes. I think that is different too. Standards of acceptable
have changed.

> If we are going to grow the cohousing market, we need to mature our approach
> and be willing to spend money on marketing like the rest of the housing
> market does. Otherwise, we have a very limited market of “hard core
> communitarians.”

I would love to hear which money marketing approaches have produced members who
made it to move-in. In the past, money brought lots of interest but not takers.
Our experience with realtors in DC on resales has been dismal. One didn’t even
show prospects the common house.

No matter what, I agree that selling a new project is never as easy as it would
seem it should be. Who wouldn’t jump to live in cohousing?

I’ll write more about blogging in a separate post.

Thanks Katie for clearing that up,

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines