Re: Apartment Sharing Developer attempts to co-opt cohousing Name
From: Fred-List manager (fholsoncohousing.org)
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2017 06:59:51 -0800 (PST)
Kristine Elletson <kelletson [at] me.com>
after restoring subject line and quote attribution.

From; Kris Elletson, Colorado resident and person searching for Senior
Cohousing in the Denver area,  and lover of all things cohousing.

For a New York minute, I thought wonderful a new cohousing community
and its in Denver, I have a place to find; my tribe. But, then I read
further.

What is missing in these developments is many things. But, what is
important to me is the community development, the cohesion, friendship
building structure forged around meetings, potlucks, and workshops on
every topic of building community. I believe cohousing is a wonderful
way to support seniors and build a community that is supportive,
encouraging and beneficial for everyone as we age together.

I am respectfully asking Charles Durrett and the cohousing community
to take control of the name ( cohousing ) and stop developers who are
usurping its name and meaning. Copyright, trademark, franchise, do
something that protects  the name and require people using the name to
build according to true cohousing principles.

Neighborhood design. The design of the community is based on
principles that will bring the community together and create
communication. Common Facilities. The common house that is designed
around what the community will need to work as a shared facility and
bring the community together, including shared meals a cornerstone of
co-housing. Resident management,  The residents own their own units
and share the ownership of the community shared spaces. They have many
meetings to support and manage the property together.  A small number
of residence 20 to 30 so that a community can be built.
Non-hierarchical structure. Decisions are made by consensus. Community
works on creating the environment, structure, decisions they want to
live by. No shared community economy.

If they want to build a for-profit monster development that is their
right but do not call it - cohousing. Denver has several communities
now that are using the name cohousing, but are not set up on the model
Charles Durrett outlined in his books. Developments that are being
built around the name Cohousing are destroying the meaning and concept
of cohousing. Making it harder for people who want to build a true
community to get the word out. to define what is meant by cohousing
and leaving a bad impression of what cohousing is.

Imagine those 253 people going out into the world telling people this
is our cohousing experience. Imagine a new cohousing community being
started and having to explain over and over again no this example is
not cohousing. It makes it harder and harder to find people who want
to join in a traditional community because they have been disheartened
when they see these examples of the for-profit buildings.

In all the people I have talked to about trying to find my community I
have only met one person who knew his way around the topic. All the
others, just heard the name so if you put this kind of development in
front of them that is what they are going to believe is cohousing.
That is the discussion they are going to bring to the world as true.

Fix this problem or lose control of cohousing.