Re: Neighborhood opposition and Eugene Cohousing
From: Philip Dowds (rphilipdowdsme.com)
Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2018 06:02:02 -0700 (PDT)
One of the construction project challenges that has emerged over the last four
or five decades is the increasing prevalence of special permits in lieu of
as-of-right permits.
      In the old-fashioned as-of-right system, the rules were unequivocal:
“You can build your thing within these limits, and with these features.”  The
building inspector measured a bunch of parameters on the drawings, and if the
design was compliant with the zoning rules, you got your permit (no public
hearing required).
      But with modern let’s-make-a-deal special permitting, it’s more like
this: “You can build a tiny thing as-of-right.  But if you want to build a
bigger, better thing, then you must meet these extra design standards and
provide public benefits”. Where as-of-right rules were non-ambiguous (“No more
than 40 feet tall”), the new “design standards” trend toward the subjective
(“At a height compatible with similar buildings in the neighborhood”).  Which
is why the building inspector is no longer qualified to make the permit
decision.  To get your bigger/better permit, you now must bargain with the
Planning Board, and do all these public hearings.

Well, the above is something of a hyperbolic over-simplification, and the
now-ubiquitous special permit “design reviews” often do encourage (or compel)
more consideration of the public good.  But an unintended side effect is that
project design review has empowered neighbors:  When angry neighbors (often
well-known to the Planning Board members) show up to complain, the Board is
usually very reluctant to award a special permit without the applicant making
significant “concessions" — even when the Board members know that the
complaints are not grounded in reality, or even dissimulations.

I do agree that much or most public resistance is now driven by fear.  Not a
generic fear of the new or unfamiliar, but rather a generic fear of change and
loss.  I think many or most Americans now feel like they are living in a time
of great insecurity and fragility, and that any kind of change may trigger an
unexpected forfeiture or disaster from which recovery will be impossible.  We
no longer live in a climate of optimism and ingenuity.  I do not know when such
a climate will return.

Thanks,
Philip Dowds
Cornerstone Village Cohousing