Re: Clarification on What legal structure is best for a small group? (Ann Zabaldo)
From: Jerry Koch-Gonzalez (
Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2018 07:13:11 -0800 (PST)
How about an urban land trust? The building and land are held in one legal
entity which then rents/leases to a community entity which could be
an unincorporated association or an LLC or just individuals. The land trust
board can include some of the residents.
Pioneer Valley Cohousing

On Wed, Dec 26, 2018 at 5:11 AM Copia Webster <copiawebster [at]>

> Ann,
> I appreciate your thoughtful response to my question.
> To clarify, we are doing something different than most groups. For example,
> none of the three questions mentioned apply to our group:
> 1. We will not be developing a building. We will buy an existing apartment
> building and do light rehab to a couple of the units.
> 2. We will be buying the building as an legal entity, not developing as
> one.
> 3. Neither condominium, co-op or HoA will meet our needs, because we do not
> want member’s individual creditors to be able to lien the building, nor for
> heirs of deceased members to inherit any part or interest in the building.
> Please be assured I do not feel that the legal entity question is simple.
> The first professional we want to hire is an attourney that specializes in
> the kind of legal vehicle we need. Hence our quest to determine what that
> vehicle is.
> Thanks,
> Linda
> _________________________________________________________________
> Cohousing-L mailing list -- Unsubscribe, archives and other info at:

Jerry Koch-Gonzalez  413-687-5444
, Sociocracy For All <> and  New England NVC
Founding Resident, Pioneer Valley Cohousing Community

To talk to me about sociocracy or NVC, go here:

Results generated by Tiger Technologies Web hosting using MHonArc.