Re: Tonight's Web Chat on Retrofit Cohousing
From: Kathryn McCamant (kmccamantcohousing-solutions.com)
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2019 13:22:53 -0800 (PST)
RE Retrofit Cohousing

Alan said:  "I think if cohousing has a tipping point it will be as a result of
a bunch of communities forming themselves in repurposed buildings."

I agree.  As the costs of new construction continue to rise far faster than
people's incomes (bigger issue of society's growing inequality), I am surprised
more people don't create community within existing neighborhoods, using
existing housing stock.  While I am very proud of involvement with the two
Temescal communities in Oakland (great examples of retrofit cohousing described
in our book Creating Cohousing), I haven't figure out a business model for
professionals to lead this movement. It really needs to be led by the people
seeking to live in community. I am curious though, about why more people don't
pursue the retrofit model? (and I mean retrofit existing neighborhoods/housing
to create greater community, not retrofitting industrial buildings to housing,
which is typically the same costs or more than new construction. This could be
more of a social retrofit than physical)

Katie McCamant, President
CoHousing Solutions
Nevada City, CA 95959
T.530.478.1970  C.916.798.4755