Re: Dogs and common facilities
From: Elizabeth Magill (pastorlizmgmail.com)
Date: Thu, 3 Oct 2019 07:01:09 -0700 (PDT)
I am highly allergic to dogs. Having dogs in the common house would
basically mean that I cannot go there.
And there's the rub.

How to balance the people who want x and the people who want not-x. In the
development stage you figure which is right for your community. Whichever
you figure will cut some people out.

I would not move into a community where dogs are in the common house. You
would not move into a community where dogs cannot go into the common house.
Or maybe one of us doesn't feel that strongly that it's an absolute
deal-breaker.

So the question really comes down to this: who will compromise and who will
you choose to exclude?

In our community, only certified service animals are able to use the common
house.

I will say that we also have a rule that dogs must be on a leash, or under
voice control. A large percentage of the dog-owners simply don't follow
that. Or maybe they think "under voice control" means "well my dog comes
eventually". Dogs jump on me often.
So while I'm sure you really do have a dog you can control, I'm not that
trusting of that sort of statement.

The idea of earning privileges is interesting; I'm not sure who would
decide who has earned the privilege, or what the standards would be.

Liz
Mosaic Commons in Berlin, MA
508-450-0431