Re: Voting rights
From: rphilipdowds (rphilipdowdsme.com)
Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2019 02:50:46 -0700 (PDT)
At the Cornerstone plenary level, we expect that most decisions will be made
via a consensus process that leads to a unanimity outcome.  For each decision
proposed, any member can have one or more objections, and unanimity results
when all objections have been resolved.  This may take a while.

But sometimes unanimity cannot be found or created.  In these cases, maybe the
proposers abandon their quest.  Or, maybe they call for a super-majority vote.
In our case, voting is by unit present at the meeting; the affirmation
threshold is 3/4s of the units participating.  We have 32 units.  If 24 are at
the meeting, then the Yea vote must equal or exceed 18 units.  By state law, if
the vote is about spending money on an “improvement”, then that affirmative
vote of 18+ plus units must also represent at least 75% of deeded percent
interest.  There is no splitting of unit vote or unit interest.  A household
must be unified in its Yea, Nay, or Abstain.

For what its worth, plenary voting is pretty rare.  My personal view is that
the possibility of vote is a significant stimulus for compromise and unity.

At the committee / team / task force / circle level, each group is free to make
decisions as it chooses.  While there has been some experimentation with
“regular” membership, in some or many situations the view is that any community
member who makes it into the room for the meeting is also an empowered member
of that committee, at least while the meeting is in progress.

Thanks,
Philip Dowds
Cornerstone Cohousing
Cambridge, MA