Related questions about taxes and donation income
From: Jude Foster (foster.judegmail.com)
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2019 07:05:48 -0700 (PDT)
Ann, I was surprised to read that Takoma Village doesn’t pay taxes on your
resale pod donations.   I didn’t remember if you said that at your conference
workshop.  It might be worthwhile for some of us to hear from your bookkeeper
why or how that is true, and if it is due to your District of Columbia tax
laws.  But with or without taxes, it’s a remarkable level of donation income!

Katie, I was surprised to read your words that most HOA’s are “mutual benefit
non-profits.”  I was under the impression that most Coho’s are registered under
state condo laws, which are not “non-profits” in any legal sense, are they?

My community, Trillium Hollow in Portland OR, files for taxes and reports all
donations - Common House room donations, mostly, plus use of Common House by an
outside entity, etc.  A total of $3-5K a year, which is nothing compared to
TV's resale donation income.

The big accountant company who handles most of our Reserve Studies in this
area, Schwindt and Co, also handles our annual tax filing. That donation income
is offset by certain expenses, resulting in a close-to-zero tax assessment each
year.

Maybe the subject line should change to “questions about taxes on donations?!”
I’ll do that now.
Jude, Trillium Hollow