Re: Communities that handle property buys and sells
From: Kathryn McCamant (kmccamantcohousing-solutions.com)
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2019 07:47:30 -0700 (PDT)
RE Title Companies: I don't think most title companies in California are owned
by attorneys. Yes, we close thru a title company and here in Nevada City we
have one most all of us have worked with so they are familiar with cohousing,
but I would not count on them to provide any legal review other than strictly
title issues.
Katie

Tom said:

Katie et al.: Although you may not realize it, if you had a title company
handle your settlement, I believe that invariably there was an attorney at the
helm. I have practiced real estate in several states and every title company
was typically owned and managed by an attorney. The title company typically
reviews and interprets the contract, prepares the settlement calculations for
the lender and tax authorities and also issues your title insurance policy to
insure against title defects and assures that your deed and mortgage agreements
are filed in proper order to assure continuity of title and security for your
lender.

    Tom Lofft
    Liberty Village, MD

Katie