Re: CoronaVirus mitigation
From: Ann Zabaldo (zabaldoearthlink.net)
Date: Thu, 5 Mar 2020 16:37:45 -0800 (PST)
Hello Mena and all — Thank you for initiating this thread, Mena.  It’s a
valuable one.

Since you’re at Ground 0.5 for the coronavirus in the US (L.A. seems to have
earned the crown of the most identified cases) maybe you have some lessons for
us?  What changes have you made? What procedures do you have in place?

At Takoma Village in Washington DC our RISQUE pod (committee) has been
requested to address this subject. So something is starting here.

May I make a pitch right now for mitigating other contagious diseases such as
colds and flu?  I have a compromised immune system all year long. Not just
during flue season.   When I get sick it’s lights out as it’s been for the last
2.5 weeks after catching someone’s cold.  But this is not about just safety for
me … it’s safety for the whole community … all year. When little kids get sick,
inevitably the parents get sick too and pretty soon whatever bug it happens to
be is circulated throughout the community.  Would it be helpful to everyone to
not get sick, lose work time, lose time w/ the family, etc. etc. etc?   Why not
have these procedures in place for healthy living all year?  We have guidelines
around food safety. Why not around hand washing?  Wiping down surfaces in
community spaces?  And of course around coughing, handshakes, sneezing  … ?

The coronavirus is a serious issue.  And I’m delighted to see it sparking
conversation about safety.  Let’s put these procedures in place for healthy
living all year for everyone.

:-)

Best --

Ann Zabaldo
Takoma Village Cohousing
Washington, DC
Member, Board of Directors
Mid Atlantic Cohousing
Principal, Cohousing Collaborative, LLC
Falls Church, VA
202.546.4654

Dear Karma — I have a list of people you missed.