Re: coronavirus in cohousing
From: fergyb2 (fergyb2yahoo.com)
Date: Sun, 22 Mar 2020 16:42:11 -0700 (PDT)
     At Swans Market We have cancelled Common Dinners, upped our cleaning
protocols, and are having all our meetings via videoconferencing via Zoom.  Our
younger neighbors have organized a twice weekly shopping run so that we elders
can just email in our list of needs and they shop for us.  At 7pm every night
we stand in our doorways (which are 18 feet apart) and clap to thank our
medical folk and first responders and then we all sing a song together,
different one every night.  Solidarity in a time of social distancing.  A few
days ago we learned that one of our original members  who had cancer and so
moved to assisted living facility had died; so we gathered in our communal
garden which she had lovingly tended for 19 years, and standing 6 feet apart we
sang her favorite song and shared memories of her and toasted her with
Lemoncello which she used to make, in memory of her fabulous cocktail party she
used to throw every year.  When one of our younger members turned 3 we stood in
our doorways and sang  Happy Birthday to her.  It feels strange but we still
feel connected and are caring for each other.  As far as we know none of us has
yet got the virus, but who knows so we try to assume we all have it.
   Bonnie,
  Swans Market Cohousing
  Oakland
Sent from my iPad