coronavirus in cohousing
From: fernselzer (fernselzeraol.com)
Date: Sun, 22 Mar 2020 16:04:58 -0700 (PDT)
Hi all,
 I would like to hear what you are all doing in your communities right now.  I
hope to go back and listen to the Zoom chat that happened but right then I was
busy just coping with all the things that are changing.
Especially,  what are you doing to have fun and connect?   I am looking for
some ideas for things we could do in the courtyard or from our balconies that
would help us enjoy each others company.  Our balconies all face out on the
same courtyard.  We are all doing so much on Zoom already, I'd like some other
optionsAny ideas?
How we have been doing so far:  We are just outside the SF Bay Area in Aptos,
California so we are in lockdown.
Since we have so many social workers, teachers, and non-profit workers amongst
us, so far all are keeping their jobs and doing their work on line so, it isn't
an economic challenge as of yet.  Parents have not been letting their children
in the CH.   People aren't really getting tests in California, so we must
assume that some of us are carrying the virus.    Families make their own
decisions about how they will structure things inside the house, but otherwise,
everyone is staying 6 feet apart.
We put cleaner and paper towels at various locations in the CH.    I don't
really think most people are using the CH at this point except for laundry.We
suspended having guests in the CH guest rooms without getting everyone's
permission, and so far no one has asked.We are having Sunday dinners, when the
weather is good, by sitting outside at least 6 feet apart and bringing our own
food and chairs.   We are conducting meetings on line or by phone.
We are setting up the laundry so that everyone has a day every week, that they
selected, to do their laundry.   People are to stay out of the laundry room
unless it is their day.  We have 2 laundry rooms so we have enough for every
family to have one day.  Also, everyone is to clean all surfaces when done in
the laundry room.We still run into each other often so we can chat from a
distance.    I can't see my grandchildren now, who used to come over all the
time, so I have been loaning out some of their toys and books, for the
duration, to help our community children have a little more to do.   School
will be beginning on line tomorrow so that should help.  We also have been
passing around humorous things that have been going around the internet re
coronavirus, sheltering in place, etc. Take care everyone......waiting for the
surge, let's hope its manageable.Thanks
FernNew Brighton Cohousing