Re: Online course for community seekers, "Finding Your Community Home, " and Sociocracy Course
From: Martie Weatherly (mhweatherlyearthlink.net)
Date: Sat, 2 Jan 2021 06:05:59 -0800 (PST)
I am replying to Chris Herndon's post where I have removed portions not
pertinent to what I am commenting on.

It is great for your community to try sociocracy for two years. However, I want
to correct the statement
"it addresses power/control dynamics that can exist when someone blocks a
proposal
>through the consensus method. Sociocracy is about getting things done in an
>effective manner whilst maintaining good vibes amongst the community."

Consensus is a decision making process. I suggest that our communities that
struggle with consensus have lost connection with the basics of consensus -
that everyone comes into the room ready to work out their issues for what is
best for the community at that time. That includes being able to set aside a
block from a member based on purely personal values, not what is best for the
community. Consensus takes work and attention and energy. It is all about
enhancing our relationships with each other which is why it appeals to
cohousers. And it isnt all good vibes as consensus welcomes conflict which is
not easy for us in this culture. By bringing out the conflict, creative
solutions can come forth.

But when you harness the power and excitement of listening to each other and
coming up with a solution that has 100% implementation, that is what cohousing
and consensus are all about.

Martie Weatherly
Liberty Village, Frederick MD

Health and Wellness Coach