Re: Covid protocols
From: Ann Zabaldo (zabaldoearthlink.net)
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 2021 11:07:33 -0800 (PST)
Melanie and all -

I totally agree w/ you about social distancing.  I was ecstatic to see at both
MedStar hospital centers ALL their signs say PHYSICAL DISTANCE.

And, as Diana Carroll has said … that ship sailed w/ Dr. Fauci using "social
distance" from day one.

It’s the same words that are now part of the lexicon e.g. FEDEX that document
to me.  Or FAX that to me.  Language evolves.

The one that drives me completely insane is creating comparative and
superlative forms of a word e.g. s/he is MORE QUIET or is the MOST QUIET of any
of the other students.   S/he is QUIETER or is the QUIETIST of all the
students.  While this is like nails on a blackboard to me … the language is
evolving and, in this case, simplifying.  I stuff my ears w/ cotton …

Now, would you like to open up a discussion on the non-use of commas and
apostrophes? As a card carrying member of the Apostrophe Protection Society I
am most unhappy about people omitting apostrophes.  I rue the day other
grammatical devices, trying desperately to stave off confusion in the written
word, have been bludgeoned to death via texts, email (tho’ not so much), etc. (

I wonder what Shakespeare’s experience was as he added 1,700 words to the
English vocabulary?

‘Zounds!

Best --

Ann Zabaldo
Takoma Village Cohousing
Washington, DC
Member, Board of Directors
Mid Atlantic Cohousing
Principal, Cohousing Collaborative, LLC
Falls Church, VA
202.546.4654

Having some states lock down and some states not lock down is like having a
peeing section in a swimming pool.  (Internet meme)

NOTE: Please add my new email address to your CONTACTS list.   I’m
transitioning to this new email address.  Please start using annzabaldo [at]
me.com <mailto:annzabaldo [at] me.com>

> On Feb 28, 2021, at 11:37 AM, Diana Carroll <dianaecarroll [at] gmail.com
> <mailto:dianaecarroll [at] gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> That ship has sailed.  It isn't Ann's group that is using it...it's the
> whole US. Whether I use a different term at home or not, my kids are part
> of the world where "socially distant" is a phrase that is part of
> everyone's vocabulary and will become a part of theirs.
>
> Surely as an English teacher, you understand that language evolves.  I
> don't think the phrase "socially distant" changes the DIFFERENT meaning of
> the word socially. It's now a phrase, a neologism, and it no more dilutes
> the concept of being socially connected than saying "Hey, that's cool"
> dilutes the concept of something with a low temperature.
>
> Mostly I think harassing a fellow cohouser because she uses the same phrase
> that everyone around her in the whole world is using is annoying and
> condescending.
>
> Should society have chosen the phrase physically distant instead of
> socially? I guess, sure, but that's not what evolved and...hey, that's cool.
>
> Diana
> Mosaic Commons
> Berlin, MA
>
> On Sun, Feb 28, 2021 at 11:17 AM Melanie G <gomelaniego [at] gmail.com
> <mailto:gomelaniego [at] gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>> Dear Ann, I find your posts so useful, and super helpful.  And yet, I find
>> the use of the truly regretful meme of "social distancing" extremely
>> depressing to see coming from a group that specifically has the intention
>> of social connecting.
>>
>> I have lived through all this alone so far, and I can say as both an ex
>> English teacher, and a seeker of community, that it is just demoralizing to
>> see this meme used in nearly every single covid protocol item in your
>> community.
>>
>> Words are super important to the legacy we support and leave behind.  All
>> the children who learn this meme, and not likely question it, and will
>> become very different adults than the adults we experience now.  I don't
>> want to write a long diatribe about this again.  But it will continue to
>> bite us all in the butt, mark my words.
>>
>> And no, it is not accurate to ask people to "socially" distance.  Social
>> distance is very likely to be heard and misperceived as shunning of
>> others.  Which is also why those rules can be interpreted as people like,
>> and will.  And why you needed to clarify at least in one instance that it
>> means 6 feet.
>>
>> This is a meme that merits intense scrutiny, especially by those of us here
>> who care so much about the social fabric.  I hope people here will
>> reconsider the possible harm of unquestioningly and repeatedly using this
>> "social distancing" meme in community.
>>
>> Thank you for reading, and I hope you take this in the spirit it is meant,
>> a spirit of deep care and concern.  And yes, "physical distancing"  can be
> [...]

Do you ever get up in the morning, look at yourself in the mirror and think …
“That can’t be  accurate.”

NOTE: I am switching back to: zabaldo [at] earthlink.net.  Many apologies!