Re: Real Estate Gifts?
From: Lyn Deardorff (lynpeachtreeoutlook.com)
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2021 19:14:52 -0700 (PDT)
Thanks Patti.  This is very helpful!
Lyn Deardorff

-----Original Message-----
From: Cohousing-L <cohousing-l-bounces+lynpeachtree=hotmail.com [at]
cohousing.org> On Behalf Of Patricia Lautner
Sent: Tuesday, March 30, 2021 7:51 PM
To: Cohousing-L <cohousing-l [at] cohousing.org>
Subject: Re: [C-L]_ Real Estate Gifts?

I'm on the Board at JPCohousing in Boston, MA (JPC).  We have been talking
about 'resale culture' here at JPC, and the idea of estate planning is part of
that.  I spoke with an estate planning lawyer who gave me the following
information:

   - Option 1: A conveyance of the unit to a realty trust, in which the
   donor is the trustee, and also the beneficiary for life.  The remainder of
   the property goes to JPC upon their death.  This would ensure the gift
   would occur seamlessly, without probate.  (My dad had this, also called a
   "Life's Estate")
   - Option 2: Donor could consider making the gift to an irrevocable
   trust, which, if they were to later need long-term nursing-home care in the
   future, the unit could not be counted as their asset, and would be
   protected, for Medicaid eligibility purposes, as long as five years had
   passed from when the transfer into the irrevocable trust had occurred

Our Board is considering that, if a member wanted to set up their estate so
that the unit goes to JPC, then the community could offer to pay the legal fees
to set this up.  The member however would have complete privacy and work
directly with the lawyer.

Patti