Re: Affordable (Co)housing
From: Ann Zabaldo (zabaldoearthlink.net)
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2021 17:53:19 -0700 (PDT)
Diana — I like and agree w/ all that you say about how profit is not
necessarily the only or even the primary benefit of living in a permanently
affordable unit in Mosaic Commons.

I’m always of two minds regarding permanently affordable housing.  In addition
to the benefits you mentioned, Diana, another advantage is that the
municipality doesn’t have to keep ginning up financing to keep building
replacement affordable units if the units are allowed to be sold at market
rates.  Defeats the purpose of an affordable housing program.

On the other hand … a owning a house is one of the main ways people gain wealth
in our society.  So it seems cutting off people from that wealth building
process is unfair by restricting access to the pathway.  Another consideration
is that people may need to move.  If there is NO profit in the house they are
selling … can they afford to buy in the place they are going if they don’t have
the cushion of that resale profit?  Of course, you can make the argument that
an affordable mortgage frees up other money so the affordable homeowner can
save money — they are not stretched to the limit in their personal finances if
they have a reduced mortgage (of course there are exceptions all around.  It’s
terribly hard to save money in certain ).

In your case in MA, you say people can borrow against the house.  Now, that’s
visionary.  That could mean money to learn a new skill, send their kids to
college, go into business — any of a number of things using this feature could
build wealth.

So many models … so hard to know which ones work best.  My fave is requiring
people to live in the affordable home for 7+ years to prevent flipping.  The
only compensation received at this time is what you paid for the unit plus any
improvements.  After 7+ years there is a upward sliding scale in which you
receive a very small “profit" on the house for the number of years you live in
it.  This is all to maintain stability in the community — the owner gets a
little “profit” and staying where you are becomes desirable but when you have
to leave you have a little cushion and a little recognition that simply living
in your home benefited you.

Really liking this thread.  Thanks to all!

Best —

Ann Zabaldo
Takoma Village Cohousing
Washington, DC
Ex. Dir. & Mbr. Board of Directors
Mid Atlantic Cohousing
Principal, Cohousing Collaborative, LLC
Falls Church, VA
202.546.4654

When Isaac Newton stayed home to avoid the 1665 plague, he discovered the Laws
of Gravity, Optics, and he invented Calculus

NOTE:  I’m switching back to using zabaldo [at] earthlink.net.  Many apologies!