Re: Deaf members
From: Sylvie at Hotmail (s_kashdanhotmail.com)
Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2021 19:59:35 -0700 (PDT)
Hi Dean and all,

Here at Jackson Place Cohousing, Seattle, Washington, one of our founding members had a hearing impairment. He used hearing aids. He was very involved in a variety of activities in developing and fine-tuning our community,  a great cooperator and generous neighbor. Sadly, he died several years ago of cancer at the age of 40.

I don't think it is possible to generalize about how people who are deaf or hearing impaired will get along in any specific group. It depends on the individual and the others in the group, as with people who have full hearing.

But in general, when building a common house, even if there are no members with hearing impairments, it is very worthwhile to build in sound absorbing materials, so people can hear more easily in crowded dining rooms and other meeting areas. Everyone benefits, and many people loose some hearing as they grow older.

Cohousingly,

Sylvie Kashdan