Re: Affordable (Co)housing
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2021 11:47:32 -0700 (PDT)
> On Apr 20, 2021, at 8:52 AM, R Philip Dowds via Cohousing-L <cohousing-l [at]
> cohousing.org> wrote:
>
> A personal comment based on this information:  Is it a financially “dumb”
> move to buy into a limited equity unit, if a market-rate unit is (barely)
> within reach?  The historical evidence suggests No.  In terms of household
> wealth-building, it looks like toughing it out in a limited equity unit could
> release cash for investment in stocks and mutual funds, which often offer far
> higher returns.

Except that in  places like Cambridge real estate has brought more gains. Do
you have any idea how much less expensive it is to live in limited equity
housing? I’ve heard projections from money management people about “invest”
instead of pay a mortgage that assume one is using their extra $300,000 to
invest.

By definition anyone approved for limited equity house will not have any extra
money sitting around. It would probably take years to accumulate enough to make
a difference in the money markets.

Sharon
———
Sharon Villines