Re: Cohousing-L Digest, Vol 208, Issue 14
From: Neena Jud (harmonyfuse.net)
Date: Mon, 17 May 2021 09:58:19 -0700 (PDT)
Re: Statistics on common house usage

>Chuck Durrett has always posited that communities sharing meals 3-4 times a
week are more connected, so my goal is a K/DR/L space large enough to allow
for the entire community to be together in comfort for meals 3-4x a week,
and for all other whole community gatherings.  We're guessing a population
of 40-50.

>Second question:

>My designer/developer is suggesting that 1200 square feet is adequate for
the K/DR/L common amenities space (+ bathroom).   The 1200 sq. fit is within
an 18' x 66' rectangle, with windows/doors/patio doors along one of the 18'
sides.  I think we should "take over" the unit next door and design this
part of the common amenities along a, twice-as-wide, 36' side with twice the
view and exterior ground access.   This would give us a total of 1825 square
feet and allow us to use the extra interior space for ..???

>Would appreciate any feedback/comments.
>Janey
>The Coastal Village

Janey,
My (professional) gut tells me that 1200 square feet is not enough space for
a comfortable dining room for 50 people with common kitchen and living room
seating space (unless you want to move furniture every time) and a couple of
restrooms. Code minimum for the dining area is 750 square feet, but 900
square feet would be more comfortable. Two Accessible Toilet Rooms (no
bathing facilities, and with 50 people you will need two) will be about 100
square feet. Not having designed a kitchen for a Common House before, but
having used a Common kitchen frequently and designed a few small commercial
kitchens, I think you will need at least 12' x 16' to 16' x 16' (200 - 250
square feet). I don't know about the Living Room seating space or
circulation around/between those spaces, but already those numbers add up to
more than 1200.

Neena Jud
Harmony Architecture
Cincinnati, Ohio